Dental and oral health is an important part of your overall health. If you do not pay attention to oral hygiene, you may encounter problems such as bad breath and tooth decay. In addition, studies have shown that dental diseases increase the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart problems. So what should we do for healthy teeth?
Oral Health Needs to Know
To have healthy teeth, “How should dental care be done?” It is useful to learn the answer to the question and to consider some tips.
- Dental plaque prevents the gums from breathing and may cause inflammation of the gums or decay of the teeth. Therefore, in addition to doing your routine dental care, you can be examined by the dentist every 6 months.
- If you have tooth sensitivity, you should take care that the products you will use are special for sensitive teeth.
- Sugary foods and acidic beverages are very harmful for oral health. You should brush your teeth after consuming these foods. If you do not have the opportunity, you can use mouthwash.
How Should We Clean Our Teeth?
Oral care and cleaning consists of 3 stages. These are brushing teeth, using dental floss and oral cleaning.
- Brushing Teeth: You should not forget the importance of brushing and you should brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day.
- Using Dental Floss: Even though you are cleaning their surfaces when you brush your teeth, you may not be able to reach them far enough. Bacteria that settle between teeth can lead to plaque formation and decay over time. Therefore, it is recommended to floss once a day. When choosing the floss you will use, you can consider your tooth type and habits. After you break about 30 cm of floss, you can wrap it lightly on your middle finger and hold it between your thumb and index finger. While inserting the floss between your teeth, you should be careful not to damage your gums and slowly move it back and forth between your teeth.
- Cleaning the Mouth: You can prevent the formation of bacteria by gargling with oral cleaning solutions after brushing your teeth. While there are many mouthwash options, many contain almost the same active ingredients. However, in order not to harm your teeth in the long run, it is useful to stay away from products containing alcohol. After you take the mouthwash in your mouth, you can spit it around in your mouth for 40-50 seconds. Afterwards, you should not rinse your mouth with water.
Is mouthwash with salt water beneficial for oral and dental health?
The acidic environment in the mouth due to the foods consumed can cause bacteria to multiply rapidly. In order to prevent the proliferation of harmful bacteria and inflammation, it is necessary to create a neutral environment by raising the PH value of the mouth. At this point, utilizing salt water can be effective.
Some studies have shown that gargling with salt water can destroy bacteria in the mouth. Also, gargling regularly with salt water can help prevent this process from forming plaque.
How Many Times Should Teeth Be Brushed A Day?
For oral and dental care, “How many times a day should the teeth be brushed?” The answer to the question is important because it is necessary to pay attention to oral hygiene for healthy teeth.
The Turkish Dental Association has determined the optimum tooth brushing frequency as 2 times a day. However, if you consume large amounts of sugary foods during the day, you can increase this amount to three.
When brushing your teeth, you can take care to use a soft toothbrush in order not to damage the gums. The small size of your brush makes it easier to reach different parts of the mouth. You can also use a fluoride toothpaste and replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
While brushing your teeth, you should hold the brush at a 45-degree angle. You should brush in an up-and-down direction, without pressing too hard. You should not be content with brushing only the upper surfaces, but you should also brush the back and side surfaces.
As Healdone, we wish you healthy days.